Job Opportunity for Full-time Position as Project Manager at the Interfaith Center for Sustainable Development (ICSD)
Job Responsibilities: Download PDF
The employee will serve as a Project Manager at the Interfaith Center for Sustainable Development (ICSD), on a full-time basis. Responsibilities for this area of work include:
Stage 1: June to October 2017
- Approach senior religious leadership, including in the Catholic Church, the Anglican Communion, the Orthodox Church, and Muslim institutions, to provide written support and bless an initiative where Gigawatt Global (GWG, a solar energy company) provides 100% financing for commercial scale solar fields on Church owned lands with a “four corners” share of profits directed to foster both clean energy and local economic development (see project description below).
- Perform other project-related, fundraising, and administrative duties as determined by the ICSD director. This may include editing grant proposals and reports, and blog posts and articles, supervising work of interns, and others assignments, and will likely comprise one-third of this position during stage one and possibly in stage two.
- Research in which African countries Christian political power and land is the strongest, and identify specific religious figures in particular diocese with land to begin conversations.
- Synchronize that with GWG business development priorities by collaborating with the GWG business development team to assess which markets would be most appropriate to rally local faith leaders and related political support in target countries.
- Explore with the Vatican Bank or other Vatican institutions a revolving pre-development fund for Catholic dioceses to apply to for pre-development studies.
- Attend both ICSD and GWG staff meetings and participate in GWG’s business development program in person and its online database
- Reach out to other Israeli and Jewish African development NGOs to seek their involvement and collaboration.
Stage 2: November 2017 and thereafter
- Identify and recruit the most optimal (i.e. with the highest likely chance of success) faith institutions in sub-Saharan Africa interested in collaborating on this project and providing land for the deployment of solar installations.
- Together with faith partners, develop faith-based educational resources on solar energy.
Strong connection to the field of environmental sustainability. This can include a personal connection, work experience, or educational background (e.g. BA or MA in relevant field (ecology, earth systems, geography, etc.)
- Strong ability to write in English in a cogent, persuasive, and error-free way, and fluent and professional communication in English
- Past work experience in a related field
- Attention to detail and ability to take responsibility and work in an independent manner, while also working well with others as part of a team
Positives but not required:
- Past experience working in Africa, with Christian institutions, or in solar energy
- Knowledge of the Catholic church and its theology
- Proficiency in Swahili, other African languages or French
Compensation is based on level of experience and educational background, and is competitive with other organizations in the non-profit sector.
For more information about the organization, go to www.interfaithsustain.com
To apply for this position, submit your CV in English to email@example.com
About the Organization: The Interfaith Center for Sustainable Development (ICSD) works to catalyze a transition to a sustainable human society through the active leadership of faith communities. ICSD unites faith communities, teachers, and leaders to promote co-existence, peace, and sustainability through advocacy, education and action-oriented projects. ICSD manifests these goals through several current projects: The Interfaith Eco Seminary Engagement Project and Eco Israel Tours.
About the Faith-based Solar Energy Deployment in Africa Project
Mission: To promote creation care in spirit and action, and empower Africans through rapid deployment of solar energy and sustainable rural development.
Goal: To develop a new strategic partnership model of faith institutions and communities in Africa (Christian and Muslim), the Interfaith Center for Sustainable Development, Tevel B’Tzedek (and possibly other NGOs), Gigawatt Global (a multi-national solar energy company focused on Africa to combat climate change and support sustainable development in Africa.
- To establish a practical, scalable mechanism to support a pipeline of investment and deployment of $1 billion in large-scale solar photovoltaic projects in Africa over the next five years;
- To actualize and put into practice religious teachings on creation care by deploying and scaling a sustainable rural development program in Africa